Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Reason for the Season

So our parents (John and Linda) gave us The Christmas Sweater by Glen Beck. I thought I (Kirk) would read it, and I absolutely loved this book. It is an easy read, but man does it remind you of the Savior and his mission, and our stubbornness at times. I would recommend this book to anybody. And here is just a short quote from his little author's not at the end of the book which I loved.

"I wonder sometimes how many of us don't face ourselves because we are convinced that we're worthy of only a certain level of happiness. We are limited by our imaginations and thoughts of worthiness and joy. We become comfortable in our misery because it is all we know. Or maybe it's just that we don't look for the 'real' us because we're afraid that there isn't any real us to find. . . . At Christmas we celebrate the birth of the Christ child, but by doing so, sometimes we miss the real meaning of the season. It is what that infant, boy, and then perfect man did at the end of His ministry that makes the birth so special.

Without His death, the birth would be meaningless.

For years, I didn't believe in redemption as anything other than a word you hear from a preacher. I didn't think it was real. Even if it was, I didn't think that I was worthy. That is a lie. It is real. It's not just a word; it is a life-changing force. I am worthy. You are worthy. We all are. I guess the real lesson I learned that last Christmas with my mother was that the greatest gift is any gift that is given with love. I so clearly remember the look in her eyes as she saw my sweater rolled up in a ball on the floor of my room, and I remember realizing all that she had done for that gift. I refuse to stand at His feet and see Him with the same look in His eyes as he asks me, "Son, is that the gift I gave you?"

Pick up you redemption. Cherish it. Wear it. Share it. It has the power to transform lives." (end quote)

Glen Beck gives a very personal look into some of his life experiences. In doing so he gave me a good reminder of my Savior and his redeeming power. I would strongly recommend this book to all. Have a wonderful Christmas season and may you spend it with those you love, remembering He who loved us enough to die for us.

6 comments:

Arritt said...

Wow- we didn't know you had a blog! We'll have to read that book- sounds good. We like your cute pics down below. Happy Holidays- we're sorry we won't see you! Love you guys!

Nicole Lloyd said...

Thanks for putting this up Kirk. I am a fan of Glenn Beck and I remember thinking before that I wanted to read this book of his, I will have to go out and find it somewhere. Merry Christmas!

Katie and Jason said...

It makes me excited to finish it!!

Ann Marie said...

Hey Kirk! Thanks for the post!! I have been hearing really great things about this book!! I'm prob going to get it for my dad for christmas because he is a big glenn beck fan! Anywho glad you enjoyed the book! Hope you and Falycia are doing great!

Sterzers said...

I want to read it now. I've been looking for a good Christmas for Bri and I to read together so we'll have to read this one! We're excited to see you guys soon!

Sterzers said...

P.S. Your Christmasy blog is cute!